Flag Day, June 14th
This June 14th America will be celebrating it’s 101st Flag Day! President Woodrow Wilson scheduled the first Flag Day in 1916. Flag Day never became a national holiday but just the same Americans love to celebrate our flag. Here are some fun facts we found about Old Glory. Check out Kids Konnect to learn even more!
- The American flag’s nickname is “stars and stripes” also referred to as “Old Glory”
- The flag’s design has changed 27 times over it’s history and was last changed in 1960 to include our 50th state, Hawaii
- The 13 stripes on the flag represent the 13 colonies
- There is a star for each of the 50 states, go ahead and count them!
- The design of our current 50 star flag was designed by a high school student for a class project and he only got a B- as his final grade (mentalfloss.com)